Repairadoor’s GUIDE TO GARAGE DOOR MAINTENANCE
Most home and business owners don’t pay attention to the health of their garage doors. When problems do arise, it often comes at the cost of expensive repairs.
Garage door maintenance is a simple way of keeping the garage door in fine working order. By following simple steps of regular maintenance, home and business owners can save themselves a lot of money and trouble in the long run.
WHY INVEST TIME IN MAINTAINING YOUR GARAGE DOOR?
GARAGE DOOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR IN GAUTENG
WHAT ARE THE BASICS OF GARAGE DOOR MAINTENANCE?
There are 2 parts to garage door maintenance: maintenance work undertaken by the owner, and the regular servicing by a garage door technician.
By simply inspecting the garage door on a regular basis, listening to the sounds the door makes when in motion, cleaning and lubricating the hinges and other parts, you can add a number of years to your garage door.
By consulting a garage door technician to service the door, the technician will be able to undertake the maintenance work that the average customer is unable to do. If you have never maintained your door, getting your garage door serviced is a great starting point.
By maintaining your garage door, you will be able to prevent excessive wear and tear and prevent damage from occurring to the door, its hinges, its springs, and the opener.
WHAT ARE THE DRAWBACKS OF NOT MAINTAINING YOUR GARAGE DOOR?
There are several drawbacks to not maintaining a garage door, namely, the premature wear and tear to certain parts and unnecessary costly repairs to the garage door and the opener.
Arguably, even worse are major inconveniences that occur when the garage door is not in working order, such as the car getting stuck in the garage for sometimes the garage being unavailable for use.
Additionally, a damaged garage door can leave a home vulnerable to break-ins. When in working order a garage door serves as an important measure to securing one of the prime entries into the home or business. A damaged, inoperable garage door will not provide that same level of security.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU INVEST TIME INTO GARAGE DOOR MAINTENANCE?
If possible, you should be servicing your garage door by a qualified technician every 2 years, as well as inspecting and maintaining your door yourself every 6 months.
Despite these recommendations, the reality is that very few clients maintain their garage door at all, as such, any maintenance that can be undertaken is beneficial!
WHAT ARE THE ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE YOURSELF TO MAINTAIN YOUR GARAGE DOOR?
To maintain your garage door, it is recommended that every 6 months you:
- Perform a thorough visual check of the garage door set-up
- Search for any form of rust or fraying cables. If rust is present, wire-brush and spray the rusted areas with a rust preventative.
- Listen to your garage door
- Keep an ear out for strained squeaking, popping, or scraping.
- Lubricate the springs, bearings, and hinges. Lubrication will reduce the friction of the moving parts and quieten the door.
- Always use a wet, rust-protective oil-based lubricant product. Use it to lubricate all moving parts of the garage door, especially the hinges, springs, and bearings.
- If there is extensive deterioration, reach out to us at Repairadoor to assess the damage.
- Clear the tracks of debris. Do not lubricate the tracks. The tracks should be entirely free from oil, grease, or any lubrication
- Unobstructed garage door tracks allow for the smooth opening and closing of the door.
- When removing all debris from the tracks, make sure to wear gloves. Use a soft cloth to remove any oil, grease, or any other lubrication spots.
- Use a dry lubricant to lubricate the garage door tracks.
- Test the tension of the garage door spring
But, if the tension isn’t where it needs to be. Do not attempt to adjust the tension of the spring yourself. This is dangerous and should only be performed by a garage door technician.
- Wash the exterior garage door panels
Not only will this keep the door looking good, but prevent dirt and other foreign material from building up and increasing the friction of the door.
HOW TO MAINTAIN A WOODEN GARAGE DOOR?
Maintaining a wooden garage door essentially entails all the actions mentioned above, plus a few more.
In addition to the above steps, be sure to consider the door’s wooden finish when sealing, varnishing, and oiling the wooden garage door. It is suggested that the process of sealing, varnishing, or oiling the wooden finish is repeated every 2 years to maintain the wood’s immaculate condition.
Regular maintenance ensures that the wooden garage door maintains its natural colour and does not warp.
HOW TO MAINTAIN A COMMERCIAL GARAGE DOOR?
Your eyes and ears are your best asset when it comes to commercial garage door maintenance. You can easily see and hear a lot of common garage door problems if you take a minute to check things out. Your door should be inspected monthly, or at least every other month at the very least. When visually inspecting the door, check out areas like:
- Horizontal and vertical tracks: look for flaring, rollers that may come loose, and other track defects or inconsistencies. Also, make sure rollers aren’t so damaged that they aren’t going to roll when the door moves.
- Hinges, springs, and other hardware: look for loose screws, damaged or lose hardware, or other things that aren’t properly installed and functioning.
- Lift cables: Lift cables should be made of a material that is durable and designed for commercial door use. The cables should be free from frays and knots and any damaged cables should be replaced or repaired immediately.
Manual doors should be easy to lift. With a properly balanced door, it should feel like it weighs almost nothing to lift by hand. If it feels like your overhead door weighs more when you try to lift it, there may be a problem.
If your door is electric, you can use the manual release to check the door operation. Simply pull the red emergency cord to release the door from the opener. Then, you should be able to easily lift the door with only one hand. If you can’t, there may be something wrong with your door.
Rather than trying to figure it out for yourself, it’s best to call a qualified technician right away. Repairadoor can diagnose and repair a variety of commercial garage door issues, and get your door working properly in no time.
FOR WHAT DO YOU REQUIRE A PROFESSIONAL GARAGE DOOR TECHNICIAN?
Unfortunately, you cannot do everything yourself and will require the expertise of a garage door technician. It is best to leave the following to the experts:
– Re-tensioning the garage door spring,
– Tightening the garage door opener chain,
– Examining the garage motor gear drive,
– Adjusting the force setting of the garage door electric motor.
The force setting must be adjusted to align with the door’s condition. Over time, it will need to be adjusted. The force setting is a crucial adjustment to make as it is directly linked to the safety of the garage door. Setting the force too high can cause the door to crush anything caught under the door during its closing phase. When the adjustment is set too low, it won’t have the necessary power to move the door.
Garage Door Maintenance Services